Old and Comfortable or New and Exciting?

Chase - Chanhassen, Minnesota

When was the last time you had to decide between two difficult choices in your life? About once a year, I am faced with a major quandary of choosing between two complicated alternatives. These alternatives are the ones that you will ponder for hours. Some of these choices are when you need to find out what classes to schedule next year, or where to go to college after high school. One situation I had in the spring of ‘07 was the choice of either playing baseball or lacrosse. I had eluded this predicament all through the fall and I had planned to make a quick decision later on; however, it became more of an issue than I could have ever imagined. I had to decide: do I want to do something that I had done for five years, or do I want to focus solely on something newer that seems exciting?

The dilemma was that I really wanted to do both, but in ‘06 I tried to do both and my summer was too hectic. I loved to play baseball and made several all-star teams, but lacrosse just seemed to be “in my blood” because my dad played it in high school and college. Whenever I would think about these two sports, I would think of time being spent with friends doing activities that are fun for me. I had to think about what I would enjoy more in the long run. Do I play a slower more individual sport or do I play a faster-paced and team-oriented one?

In the end I decided to play lacrosse, and in that spring of ‘07 I played on two different teams. All through the season I was partially regretting that I had quit playing baseball. I missed the Saturday afternoons at Bennett Park where I would smell the strong whiff of fresh cut grass, the overpowering aroma of popcorn at the pavilion and the splendid taste and texture of the slushies. I also missed the rush I would feel when I was standing at home plate, and I missed the loud cheers of the fans when the opposing player was struck out. From playing lacrosse, I know the excitement and the encouraging cheers of scoring a goal and the pleasure of winning state championships twice in 7th and 8th grade. Also, from playing lacrosse, I have gotten to spend entire Saturdays in other cities with my teammates, playing other Minnesota teams and have gone to restaurants to eat extremely unhealthy, but tasty food. Participating in these entertaining activities will always be enjoyable for me and has somewhat made up for not playing baseball.

Once I had made my decision to play lacrosse, and finished the ‘07 season, I realized that I had more fun than I would have ever had playing baseball. Consequently, I believe that sometimes choosing to do something new is more satisfying than doing something you have always been comfortable doing.