Living your life

Chad - Minnetonka, Minnesota

I have done many dumb things as a kid, but if you think about it, what kid hasn’t? I was always the first one to try stupid stunts; build jumps in my yard, climb up on the roof, and much more. I was always coming home with bumps and bruises. Overall those were the worst injuries I’d ever gotten, but about three months ago that all changed. I broke my leg during the middle of the football season and it is something I will never forget. The biggest thing I learned from that whole experience is that you need to live life to the fullest.

I have seen people get hurt and I have heard stories about people’s injuries. I never thought that it would be me, but the biggest things in life are the ones you never see coming. That day I experienced feelings that I don’t think I will ever have again. The sound of my leg popping in places it is not supposed to pop, and the feeling of pain I had was unforgettable. The pain was not like any other I have experienced before. It was very different and I don’t think I could ever explain it. The thing I remember most was the sight of everyone looking at my leg with very strange faces. At the time I didn’t know why they looked the way they did. When I finally saw my leg I understood. I was not able to do everyday activities for nearly two months and most of my time was spent on a couch watching TV or sleeping.

I hear people talk about how they should be living their life to the fullest or people asking me if I am living my life that way. I almost always just reply with a simple “yes”. After I broke my leg I had a lot of time to think about that question. I realized that I really wasn’t living my life to the fullest. There was so much I always wanted to try and there were things I wanted to spend more time on and get better at. The truth was that almost all of my free time had been spent doing things that simply killed time and wouldn’t help me get anywhere in life. If it weren’t for the accident that happened to me a few months ago I would still be living my life that way.

Ever since that day, I now live my life like tomorrow I could break another bone and not be able to do anything for a while or worse. I have learned that you shouldn’t take anything for granted because you never know if you will have that thing tomorrow or ever be able to do it again. You should give your all in everything you do because you never know if that will be the last time you do it. If you truly start living your life to the fullest you will realize that many new opportunities will open up for you.