I Believe That Everyone Should Live Life as if There Were No Tomorrow

Natalie - Saucier, Mississippi

Ten years ago, my first born child made her entry into the world kicking and screaming. She was so full of life and everything that I had ever dreamt she would be. On our second day in the hospital, I was told that she was born with a life threatening congenital heart defect known as Transposition of the Great Arteries. Upon diagnosis, we were told that she would have to undergo open heart surgeries to correct this problem. I froze in fear. At that very moment, my world seemed to stand still. The child that I had waited my whole life for was clinging onto her own life, no longer safe inside of my womb. The doctors could not guarantee that she would survive the operations that were necessary for her to live a lengthy life. I was terrified, and lost for words. That was the day that life as I knew it no longer existed. That was the day that I decided to live each day as if it were the last day. I began to live life as if there were no tomorrow.

I believe that everyone should live life as if there were no tomorrow. My daughter, Brittany, is now ten years old and quite healthy. Although we are not through with all of the procedures that she will require in her lifetime, we are at a stable place. She is healthy and lives life fully. Through our journeys together, I learned to live life passionately, laugh until my belly hurts, and love unconditionally. Our family is much larger now. I am married and have a total of four children. Aside becoming a mother and a wife, I have gone to college. Those three things are probably the three top things that I am most proud to have completed in my life. We could all analyze our lives and pick what we would change. But speaking whole heartedly, I am completely happy. I now live life without holding anything back. There is no sense in putting off today what I can do tomorrow because there is no guarantee that tomorrow will come. Tell your loved ones that you love them every day, and try not to go to sleep angry. Live your life as if there is no tomorrow, and love everyone in your’ life completely.