Free Medicine

Katherine - Chanhassen, Minnesota
Themes: love

Hug. It is a three letter word in the dictionary that means to clasp or hold tightly in the arms; an embrace. I believe that this simple word can brighten someone’s day or even their life. Hugs can raise up the weak and strengthen the strong. They are greetings, good-byes, and ways to show love and security. Whatever the occasion, a hug proves to be the perfect cure for anyone no matter their condition. If you are happy, they lift you higher, if you are nervous, they calm your nerves and give you confidence. Whether it means hugging your parents, relatives, your dog, a friend, or your old teddy bear, a hug makes you feel safe, confident, and loved. This I believe: hugs are free medicine.

Last year, I was very fortunate to be able to perform in The Nutcracker at my dance studio. It was my third year dancing in the production, but as always, I got very nervous. On opening night the excitement was rising and so were the nerves. I sat in the dressing room waiting for the show to begin. The smell of hairspray filled my nostrils. My legs began to tremble, my breathing quickened, and thoughts ran through my head about messing up. Because I was so worried and I still had a few minutes to spare, I decided to go talk to my mom who was working backstage. While walking, I could hear the quiet chatter of the anxious audience waiting for the show to start. When I found her, I explained that I was nervous about dancing. She gave me a hug and all of my worries vanished. The hug warmed me deep from the inside, and I knew now that the moment I got onto the stage, I would be confident and graceful all because of the simple lift-me-up hug. The hug was the best medicine anyone could have given me at that moment.

I went to stage left to get ready and now carried the confidence to dance my very best. I had no worries or doubts because of my free medicine. As the curtain opened and the first dancers began, I took some deep calming breaths. Then it was my time to go on and dance. Out on stage, I danced my heart out. The stage lights were hot and blinding, and the stage was just perfect for my pirouettes and soutenus on Pointe. When my dance was done, I exited the stage. I was so proud of myself and knew that the hug my mom gave me helped me to dance my best.

After my experience, I learned that one warm embrace can change your day or your life for the better. It may not give you everything that you need, but it gives you just enough to make you feel better and even accomplish a task. Before the show I was so nervous, but because of the hug I felt confident and my worries were gone. This little three letter word can really do a lot for a person, and it surely helped me calm my nerves and perform my best.