Chiara - Frazer, Pennsylvania
Themes: purpose, setbacks

I’ve spent the full twenty-one years of my life believing that everything happens for a reason. Whether the situation is a positive one or a negative, I believe we all go through these experiences to learn and to take from them.

Nearly two years ago the small family-owned grocery store I worked for began loosing business. The other employees and I struggled to do everything we could to help the business out, including working late nights – sometimes without a single break. Eventually things got so bad for the owner that he could no longer keep up with supplying our steady paychecks. I held in there for a long while, reminding myself what a great person he was and what this store did for the community – and my part in it. But eventually, my own bills and expenses caught up to me and I could no longer stay working there. I spoke with the owner and explained my situation. He agreed that I had to take care of myself, and found the positive in me leaving; he’d have one less person to be financially responsible for.

Leaving my job opened countless doors that I never would have found had I stayed there. Because my schedule opened up during the summer I was able to spend more time with friends. Before long a special relationship kindled between myself and a boy I’d known for about 5 years. Things just clicked and we’ve now been seeing each other for over a year and a half. This is significantly meaningful to me because I rarely had with relationships and had been single and quite sometime before this. Since I had always worked the weekend shifts, I was also now free to visit some college open houses in my area and I was enrolled and ready to start school by the fall. I’m nearly half way through my degree now and I’m succeeding at the highest level. Looking back on that summer it seems that everything just fell into place. It was the right time to happen.

That grocery store is still in business today and sometimes I wonder why they had to go through such hardships, and I’m sure the owner and his family wonders this as well. Some spend their whole lives trying to find their reason for why they were put through certain situations. I’ve come to realize that it may not even be to teach them at all, but to further someone else who has shared the experience with them.

I believe that all life was put on this Earth to live through many sorts of experiences and trials, all to help our sprits to grow and learn. So when times get tough in our daily lives, I would suggest stepping back and looking at the situation. Ask yourself why you are being put through it. What is there to learn from this experience? Perhaps you will gain some insight to further yourself even more and find the answers you need to move through it.