Matthew - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I believe that religion is a personal issue, and others should not try to influence you to see things their way. I am not a religious person, and it annoys me to see others trying to pester their religion and beliefs on others. How one chooses to practice their faith is up to them, and others should not sit there and tell them that what they do is either wrong or right, it’s a personal decision. My family and I used to be members of the Catholic Church, but over the years we began to realize the hypocrisy and strange actions requested by the Catholic church on it’s members. The leaders of the church would speak, and push down other religions and beliefs, only to praise their own, and they would try to erase the violent history that the church has had throughout the years. For some reason they came to view themselves as above it all, in mass, they would try to push those views on me.

Not all of this is not to say I am against someone who is religious. That’s perfectly all right. I just do not like them pushing their religious beliefs on me, someone who is a very scientifically minded person. A good example of this conflict was during my high school Catholicism class. Despite having grievances with the church, my parents wanted me to make my confirmation, and every Sunday for two hours I would have to sit and have some man or woman tell me how wrong I was for not believing everything that they did. The discussion that week was Noah’s Arc. After telling us the story, the teacher asked for out thoughts on it. I stood up and asked if they really intended to tell me that an old man and just his family could build a ship bigger then the Titanic, out of wood, and then place every animal in the world, in pairs none the less, on it. They said that it was part of my faith. My friend Brenna stood up next to me and says, you have to understand, this is how he is. They were not amused. Personally, I think the bible, used like a teaching tool is excellent. It teaches moral values. But when someone tries to interpret it literally, and then tell me I am wrong for not agreeing, I personally think is insanity.

I believe in the idea of God, and that humanity should have a good and moral center. It is not like me and my family needed something to replace God in our lives once we left the church, because our vision of God and his teaching is not the songs we sing, or the masses we go to, its how we treat our fellow man. However, to have an organization try and tell me what I should and should not believe is arrogance to its highest. Who are they to tell me what to do and think about God? Just because they have a book with supposed stories and dogma, they have the right to lecture me about how my life is either right or wrong? No, that’s wrong. That is what I believe.