Death is Not the End

Angela - Houston, Texas

This I believe that death is not the end to life. Why should we dedicate our entire physical life on earth to prosper and be successful, for there not to be something after? Why find love, start a family, and always strive for better when in an instant you may cease to exist? Without something after, life would be a waste. Maybe our purpose on earth is to create a life for the afterlife. And who is to say that we are no longer living just because the most important muscle in our body, the heart, is finally worn out? The soul is an eternal being that does not need a constant pump. People, lost loved ones, live on in the hearts of their family and friends.

When my father passed away last July, I was completely distraught. I know that everyone goes through the same at some point in their life, but for me it felt like the world came crashing down on me. Finding your loved one cold and stiff tested my mental stability. But I am still here fighting. I am still here strong because I know that one day I will reunite with my father again. I look forward to that day and am disappointed that it might be a long ways away. But life does go on, and life is easier knowing that I can take him with me throughout the rest of my life. Physical being and presence is not required for someone or something to exist. You cannot touch love, you cannot hug the deceased. But your thoughts and memories keep them alive and alongside you, as long as you believe.

It is not necessary to be religious in order to have faith, only nostalgic thoughts and hope for the afterlife. Seneca, a Roman philosopher and dramatist, once said, “Death is the release from all pain and complete cessation, beyond which our suffering will not extend. It will return us to that condition of tranquility, which we had enjoyed before we were born. Should anyone mourn the deceased, then he must also mourn the unborn. Death is neither good nor evil, for good or evil can only be something that actually exists. However, whatever of itself moving and which transforms everything else into nothing will not at all be able to put us at the mercy of fate.” Death brings new life, someone dies and another is born. Death does not end your life, but offers a better one full of peace and serenity. This may only be possible if you believe, for if you do not believe then the absence of thought and faith will be the end of your existence. We may only go on if we strive to go on. This I believe there is life after death and death after life. It is a cycle that never ends, along with your soul beyond the physical being you occupy on Earth. The human soul that strives cannot be defeated for it shall continue to prosper in the next life.