Don’t Give Up

Christopher - Carlinville, Illinois

I believe dreams are an important part of a person’s life. They give you direction, motivation, and most importantly happiness. Many people give up on their dreams as they get older. I almost did until I took the time to really think about what I wanted to do with myself. Now, I’m one hundred percent dedicated to my dream to become a game designer, and I can’t remember how long it’s been since I enjoyed life so much.

For most of my life, I’ve wanted to be a game designer, but I lost sight of that dream and my future at one point. I’ve had poor work habits for most of my life, and they didn’t change at all when I first went to college. I enjoyed my new academic freedom by frequently skipping classes. Soon, however, I stopped getting assignments and projects in on time, and eventually I stopped going to class altogether. This led to depression, and I withdrew from school. I spent the next year at home relaxing while thinking over my failure. For that entire year, I had virtually no responsibilities. It sounds great on paper, but nothing I did felt like it had any meaning. I no longer had my dream to be a game designer to work towards.

Eventually, I rediscovered my dream and found the motivation I had been missing for as long as I can remember. After several months, I felt ready to return to college. As I filled out my application, I realized I didn’t know what to major in anymore. I felt like I should look at my other interests before declaring. So I decided to return undeclared. Shortly after signing up for classes, I thought about what I really wanted to do with myself. My original and primary interest was in computer science. I thought about the other fields I was considering and realized that I didn’t feel enough interest in them. Deep down I just wanted to do computer science and more specifically become a game designer. I wanted to be a game designer, and there was no other job in the world I wanted more. Now I wanted to go back to school, and I had a dream to work towards.

My resurrected dream to be a game designer has really changed me. I’m no longer worried about being the best at what I do. Now that I want to do well, my work habits have improved a bit. I feel proud whenever I get an ‘A’ on an important assignment. I honestly feel like a completely different person. It’s almost like I’ve been resurrected myself.

From what I understand, many people are unhappy with how their lives turned out. My answer to this is to rediscover your dreams and try to reach them again. Ask yourself what you really truly want to do and go for it.