Some people say that everything happens for a reason

kamiz - Jacksonville, Florida

Some people say that everything happens for a reason.

Play for a league team was a dream to me. I can never forget the very first time I ever put my cleats on and step up on the field. Of course I was really nervous and it was -3 Celsius outside. I would get kicked and pushed every single game. I had couple of injuries on my body but none of that ever stopped me from playing. I played for 28 teams and I remember all of their names and the people that were leading the team with me. When I came to America I thought I wasn’t going to play anymore because soccer wasn’t that popular but I was wrong. My second day in US, me and my younger brother went to a park that was a minute away from our house and start kicking the ball. After couple of days I found out that on the weekends bunch of people gather and play soccer. I was so happy and couldn’t wait any longer. I spoke little bit of English but they didn’t mind me playing with them. After the game, a man came up to me and asked for my name and if I play for any team. When I told him that it was my first week in US, he started laughing. He said:” Well buddy I’m Coach Darren” and he asked me to come to his practice. I was so happy and I agreed. I practiced and played for them for a year and that’s when I got injured for the first time like real bad. I broke my wrist. I couldn’t play for 2 months and it was really depressing. So after little while my family and I moved down to Florida and my third day I started playing for a team. I broke my ankle on the first day. Had to suffer from the pain and had to listen to my parents lecture all day long. Well as we all know people learn from mistakes. So I tried my best not to play dirty with anyone ever again. On my senior year class of 2008, my dream came into reality. My coach told us that people down from Texas are here to watch couple of players. He winked at me and said wish you the best. The whole summer I practiced harder and harder and I became very strong. I lost 12 lb and burned the rest of the fatness into muscles. Everybody was amazed, whenever they saw me sprinting. I played as a midfielder who helps the defense and the offence. My team and I played very well. Our record was 22.02.02. We were almost undefeated. Our last match was in Fleming Island stadium. I scored a goal in 48th minute which was the beginning of the second half and we were all happy that we were going to be the next champions. Unfortunately on 85th minute, I just don’t even want to remind it to myself but anyhow, this defender ran right across me and I saw a leg coming right through my abs so I tried to juke him down but it was too late, so he stepped on my foot with his metallic cleats and dragged me to side line. And right that moment I knew something was going to happen and it did. I felt a crack from my ankle. I couldn’t talk, I absolutely couldn’t breathe but I could hear my family’ and others screaming. That’s all I remember from that night. I opened my eyes the next day I realized that I was in the hospital and saw my family around me. And the very first thing I said was:”Oh no”. I closed my eyes and prayed to god for this moment as of to be a dream. I cried so much, because I knew that my career was finished with my team. In 2 days I got out of the hospital and my team came over my house and they really did comfort me and gave me the good news about us being the new champions. I received a letter in a week from UTD (University of Texas at Dallas) saying that I was accepted. But I couldn’t go, I was too badly injured and on the other side my parents wouldn’t let me. I could’ve been playing for a professional team by now. But I waited for the right moment of my life. That’s why I’m training even harder now days for the future. I believe in me and I will play for a professional team one day or another!