I Now Pronounce You Man & Soda. You May Kiss The Can.

Tyler - Bethalto, Illinois

Even though I openly admit it to everyone that I meet, I shrug at the fact that I’m even typing the following words out on a piece of paper: I believe in Diet Coke. You’re probably wondering, “How can someone believe in a fat-free, zero calorie soft drink?” I ask myself the same thing every day when my eyes light up as I pop the tab on the shiny, silver can that is ultimately my one true love. It’s not necessarily that I believe in the drink itself, but the joy that it brings me. Whether it is my trip to Los Angeles when my love for Diet Coke was at its peak or my refusal to be unfaithful to my sugary soul mate, I’m sure that I will always remain true. Something that will forever remain the same is my utter adoration for the soda pop.

When looking back on my trip to Los Angeles, Diet Coke pops up in my mind more so than washing my hands next to Usher in the bathroom of a sushi bar. It’s simply how much I enjoy the drink. Upon arriving and seeing my good friend Brooke, she immediately wanted to take me out to a Hollywood lunch. “We’ll go to Toast. They have the best sweet potato fries. Oh, and you have to get a diet coke.” Brooke was a great friend, and considering I had just landed in Los Angeles, I’m glad this was the only type of coke she was pushing on me. The week’s events were blurred due to one too many vodka sodas, but the same memory that always pops up in my mind is Diet Coke. Shopping on Rodeo wasn’t complete unless I had a straw stemming from my lips to the soda can. It’s apparent that one of the greatest parts of the trip was the time I spent with my lover, DC.

Even though I’m viewed as someone who has a slight addiction for nicotine and a significant addiction for fashion magazines, the one addiction I truly admit to having is the one I have for Diet Coke. One phrase I hear every day, is “Let me guess, you’re getting Diet Coke?” I can’t even think of mixing it with the other true love that I have: vodka. Mixing the two things that I love the most in life seems like such a great idea, but the fear of getting sick due to the combination of them both is something that brings a tear to my eye.

Love affairs come and go, but if you believe in something that truly makes you happy, that relationship can last for a lifetime. The only time Diet Coke will ever leave me is when I finish off a can, and even then, there’s five more out of the pack that are longing to be consumed. My belief in DC isn’t going anywhere soon.