This I Believe- The Strength of Single Parents

Jamara - Edwardsville, Illinois

Life has thrown many obstacles my way over the past 19 years. I have learned to handle those situations as best I can through the knowledge that my mom has instilled in me. Life without my family is meaningless. There are plenty of people who make it in the world without a mother or siblings to share life with. I know in my heart that I couldn’t do it without my mom, sisters, or brothers. While having a child and watching her pass away in such an instance showed me that family is everything to me. It made me realize that life is not anything to play with and that I should cherish the ones around me even if they are here for a short period of time. I have had my mom my whole life and she has never once left my side. With that being said, I believe that my mom is the epitome of what a woman should be.

Every since I was little my mother has been the backbone of the Price, Jenkins, and McKinney family. There has never been a situation that she hasn’t handled with poise and grace. My mother does not have a problem with working multiple jobs to support her five daughters. She never once has complained about being a single parent. She wears that hat daily with a smile. If asked what the best jobs that she has she replies with a smile “Being a mother and grandma to seven beautiful girls.”

Being defeated is a word that will never be related to my mom. Freshman year, my mom got her dream of owning her first home. Little did we know that two years later we would find out that we were being scammed and betrayed by her close friend from whom we were buying the house. My sisters and I were so upset and hurt for our mom because she had worked so hard for so long to finally have a place called her own and to see her dream go up in smoke made us all livid. My mom didn’t break a sweat. Still to this day she calls that situation a lesson learned and tells us that we have to move on and not dwell on what could have been. She is always so positive about the worst situations. Her belief that everything happens for a reason sticks with me daily.

When life throws my mom lemons, she makes the best lemonade on the planet earth. She is the strongest woman I know. My sisters and I are prime examples of her strength. We look up to her in so many different ways. We watch her struggle and make it out of the struggle every time. Permessa Price is not only my mother, but she is a single parent of five girls, a hard worker, a sister, a cousin, an aunt, a grandmother, a daughter, and a wonderful example of what a woman should be.