Strength from Experience

Thomas - Moweaqua, Illinois

This I believe. That which doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I am a better person today because of what I had to go through as a child and a teenager. As a child I had problems with my stepfather, as a teen with drugs. This is what I believe, I am a stronger person. I am stronger than many people who did not have to go through the things I had to. There are many people stronger than I, such as my sister. What she went through in her life has made her a stronger person than I could ever hope to be.

My childhood was not a smooth paved road, but rather a rocky terrain. My stepfather was unkind to my sister and I, constantly dealing out emotional and psychological blows. He was an angry power-hungry freak, constantly pressing his will on us. This went on until my sister moved out and I turned eighteen. Once I was a freshman in college my sister informed me that my stepfather had abused her in other ways than just emotionally and psychologically. This caused her to be a stronger, more independent person. My childhood made me a stronger person, but news of what my stepfather had done drove me to coping mechanisms found in drugs.

In my late adolescence and early adulthood I was driven by the thought of getting high. This is no way to live. Though I was never physically addicted to the drugs I had done, I wouldn’t allow myself to quit them for some time. My parents pulled me out of school and took me to a psychologist which is where I learned I had bipolar disorder. So I kicked the drugs that I was so psychologically addicted to, and the process made me grow stronger by building my will power. To this day I no longer do drugs, and I recently quit smoking cigarettes and drinking.

I am a much stronger person today because of the things that I have gone through as a child and teenager. Each experience, good and bad, builds you as a person when you are older. The character you build in your younger days makes you a better person in the end. This is what I have learned from my experience. This is what I believe.