Negativity Can Have Positive Outcomes

Katie - greenville, South Carolina
Themes: birth, change, family

Negativity Can Have Positive Outcomes

Throughout my life, I have always had someone telling me that I cannot do something. This has always made me feel like I needed to prove them wrong. Instead of making me feel like I cannot do it, they inspire me to work harder. My mom taught me to be an independent person and to look at the positive in negativity. I believe that negativity drives us to be better people. The time when I believed this the most, was when I had my daughter Hailey, while trying to go to school.

As soon as I graduated high school, I was planning to head straight for college. However, my plans changed the day I was supposed to be heading to school. I went to the doctor for a checkup and found out I was pregnant. At that moment in time, I didn’t know what to do. I was scared and worried about how I would be able to go to school with a baby. I went ahead and tried to go to my first semester.

After that first semester, I found out my baby had some complications and would need surgery. Again, I was scared and didn’t know if I was going to be able to take care of a sick baby and go to school. My Aunt Jeanette tried telling me that it was too hard because she didn’t think she could do it. My Aunt Angel tried to get me to consider adoption. I was not going to give up my baby without even trying. No one believed in me, and it somewhat hurt. I wanted my family to believe in me.

When Hailey had her surgery, I took time off school to spend with her in the hospital. She had to stay there for two months. This made me a little skeptical about being able to go back to school. However, I kept telling myself that I would find a way to go back to school. In order for Hailey’s life to be better, I needed to finish school.

Once Hailey came home, I heard even more negativity from my family about being able to finish school. I wanted to defend myself and tell them they did not know what I could and could not do. Instead of getting angry, I started to prove them wrong little by little. The first thing I did was take online classes. This way I could take care of Hailey and finish some school. My family’s outlook changed after this. They started to tell me how proud they were of me for being a good mother and going to school. This is what I had wanted all along.

To this day, I am still going to school and plan on finishing. If it wasn’t for my family I don’t think I would have gotten this far. In the beginning I was a little doubtful, but their negativity helped push that aside and give me the strength to carry on.