The Key to Life

Alexis - Minnetonka, Minnesota

The Key to Life

Have you ever thought about what you believe in and why it is so important to you? Everyone has something that matters to them in life, and everyone has something they can’t live without. I believe that family is the most important thing in life because they are the people that care about you, are going to always be there for you when you need them, and are the people that will always love you.

The first time I realized how important family actually was when my grandma Mickey was diagnosed with cancer. As a family we realized the challenge we had before us in helping her with as much as we could. At this time my three aunts and my cousin were living with my grandpa and grandma to help them out, and keep their spirits high.

Once or twice a week, depending on how my grandma was doing, one of my three aunts would take turns driving my grandma down to the Mayo Clinic located in Rochester, Minnesota for her to receive her Chemo therapy treatment. All my aunts and my mom would take turns taking time off of work to go help my grandpa care for my grandma because my grandpa couldn’t do it all alone. They did not want a nurse to take care of my grandma my family wanted to be the ones to take full responsibility of caring for her until she died. I remember we could go to my grandparent’s house every night to see my grandma; we could come together as a family, and be there to comfort each other as we were seeing my grandma because we never knew if it was going to be the last time we were going to see her.

But when it came around for my mom’s turn to take care of my grandma my sister and I would go with her to go play with my grandpa to keep his spirits high. But one day I remember I was going into the hall closet and went and grabbed down the sheets to change her bed and I remember her struggling to walk and my heart just sank. I could not believe what I was seeing front of my eyes. I remember looking into my grandmas eyes hearing her say this to me: “I will always love you no matter what happens to me”. From that moment on I knew family was the key to be able to survive in life. That is why I do believe that family is very important in life.