I believe that I can do anything

Justin - Port Coquitlam, Canada

I believe that anything is possible if we set our minds to it. We all have unlimited potential, and our job is to try and fulfill it. Everybody should do their best at everything and never, ever give up. There are so many good examples of these spirited and determined people in our world, such as Terry Fox and President Barack Obama. I believe that I can do anything and that nothing is impossible.

When I was young, I learned a lesson that I would never forget about grit, determination and spirit. Every year, different people came to my elementary school telling us the amazing story of Terry Fox and his Marathon of Hope. Though the people who told it were different, the stories were the same. They all told us of his determination and his refusal to quit. They told us about how he ran 20 miles a day on 1 leg. His marathon was cut short, but he remained iron-willed and positive until the minute he passed away. To me, his unrelenting spirit is what makes the human race amazing.

A couple months ago, I sat on the couch and watched history be made. The votes slowly tallied up, and showed that the Democrats were beating the Republicans. I saw thousands of Americans cheer as the new President-Elect took the stage. Who would have thought 50 years ago that a black man would become the president of the United States of America and have possibly the greatest influence on the world? Barack Obama broke a racial barrier and proved that everybody, no matter what race, gender or age can become anything they want to be. I believe that in the future, more people will be like Mr. Obama. They should not be restricted to do what they want to do just because they are different.

I think that these and other strong-willed individuals should be used as role models. They showed that anything is possible if they believed in themselves. Everybody in the world should all live our lives like them. We should live our lives to its fullest potential and believe that anything is possible. The world would be a better place if everybody lived like that. Impossible should not exist in our vocabulary.

That is what I believe.