Only Now

SIYI - Staunton, Virginia
Themes: carpe diem

If we spend too much time on imagining the ideal world or hesitating between ideal and reality, we will lose the key to a bright future. The future consists of numerous present. So, I believe we should focus on now, and forever only on now.

There is no need for us to reach for what is beyond our grasps. We do not have to make many plans about the future, but we must do what we are supposed to do everyday. As a matter of fact, our obstructions are not that it is too slow to move to the ideal, but it is too fast so that we miss lots of details that we have to deal with. Our little bodies always fall in front of those great ideals. If we are always absorbed on what happens now, then we can do lots of things in a short time.

Of course, we cannot live without great dreams, the only way to get to the future is to focus on now. Ernest Hemingway says in his novel, For Whom the Bell Tolls, that “…not anything else but now; not why, not how, and please only now, always now, going now, rising now, sailing now, leaving now, wheeling now, soaring now, away now, all the way now…now, now… ” He emphasized now with the rhythmed sentences again and again. Actually, there are a lot of people who take their lives seriously, but too anxious and nervous. They look forward urgently, and pay more attention to the things which have not happened yet, but ignore the one that is happening. As a result, they waste too much time on the ideal rather than what is real now.

In Greek myth, the Gods condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly roll a rock to the top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight. People had thought with some reason that there is no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless labor. Sisyphus did not ask for a result, but instead he did what was supposed to be done. Through the philosophy’s eyes, Albert Camus concluded that Sisyphus gained happiness every time he turned back. In the myth, Sisyphus would never finish this assignment, but he still had the courage to turn around and repeat the same motion. In reality, no one will reach the ideal world, because desire is infinite. The best does not existed in the world. All we can do is to make ourselves closer to the perfect.

Life becomes colorful due to the various processes. To human beings, these processes are like the honey to bee, and we suck them up. Eleanor Roosevelt said that “Yesterday is a history; Today is a gift; Tomorrow is a mystery.” We can only control now, always now and forever now.