This I believe…

Brian - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Themes: carpe diem

Around the globe people observe, carefully watching the moves we as a nation make. These people that submerge their minds into the workings of our nation only wish they could be a part of it. They are amazed by the fast paced culture we live in and fascinated how fixed our minds are set on the building of personal wealth. The American culture is that of a working environment fixed on raising the bar to higher standards each day, while other countries cannot begin to compile the ways of the American dream. No other country in the world operates as the United States of America. For this reason, we as an American people should take the time to acknowledge how truly blessed we are to live in the land of the free.

As an American, you are quickly drawn to the American dream as a young child. The American heart beats for success and the continuous battle for social status. We start in grade school, the pressures of doing well so that we can get into college. Then this pressure continues to succeed in college and obtain a degree to one day find a career, only to have continuous pressures put on you each day. During those pivotal growing years, our brains and bodies unknowingly are processing this day to day pressure and making it a system of routine for us. Each day that goes by, we simply are allowing ourselves to get more and more into this system of pressure, and it is this pressure that drives our nation.

During our busiest of moments, we tend to need an outlet. Our society seems to have one simple and common form of an outlet. The sister of our continual pressure in society branches off into the pressure of social status; this embarks an entirely new mindset. Generations today watch the media and how they portray the so called “American Idols” around the nation, we are instantly infatuated. As I watch time go by, I wonder how people get so caught up in the ways other people are living their lives rather than looking into the one they have for themselves. This in itself is an additional pressure we are adding on to ourselves. We compare ourselves to our neighbors and wish we could live the lifestyle they are in. All in all fueling again the pressure we create that pushes our society to an even faster pace than what we are at, just with our normal daily pressures. Americans are fueled by these pressures we encounter on a daily basis.

How is it that nations around our world know of what is going on around the entire world, yet we are so ignorant to say we know just as much? I hate to say, but that would be a lie. If I were to ask ten citizens who the prime minister of Canada is, I wonder how many would actually be able to tell me. Our country concerns on why we are so uneducated in the eyes of the world, yet it is not so much the education system, but the global knowledge we have. The United States reports news from around the world, yet as we know, this information is constantly filtered through the government. Other countries around the world have a very opposite way in which they run their news programs. The majority of nations in the world broadcast our own American news stations as well as their own. The most we can do as Americans is purchase a month’s subscription of BBC. Yet, ask yourself this, how the American people are suppose to know what they are talking about in terms of world order when they only receive information from American and British news stations. You guessed it, they cannot.

The relevance of my belief has been portrayed, yet the most important thing the American society needs to do is take time to enjoy life. The American culture is the hardest working culture in the world. The idea of any other country adopting this method of working, without taking time to enjoy life would not last. Citizens of various countries around the world express how they take each day for what it offers and actually acknowledge the premiere fact of why they are here. The challenge I have for Americans is to step back, take a deep breath of fresh air, and enjoy your life. I say this because one of these days, you are not going to know where that life of yours went. Realize that we are ever so fortunate to live in the land of the free.