Things Happen for a Reason

Laura - 01473, Massachusetts

Ever since I was a young girl, but old enough to understand, my mom always told me, “things happen for a reason.” As I’ve grown older and my mom continues to preach this belief, I find myself lecturing about this concept as well. Believing situations happen for a reason can have both positive and negative results, but for the most part I lean towards the brighter side. I feel that this notion can sometimes be controlled by your actions, but on the other hand that isn’t always the case…

Looking back I first realized that things happened for a reason when I was only six years of age. At this time I went to Mass. General Hospital in Boston for testing, to determine the significance of my hearing loss. After being tested and waiting for the results my family and I met with the doctor and were informed of more vital news. The doctor explained to us that the x-rays revealed a massive cyst on the left side of my brain, totally unrelated to my hearing loss. This further explained the reason for my daily migraines and nausea that turned my complexion ghostly white. After meeting with three different brain surgeons, it was determined that I needed surgery immediately as first grade was completed to correct the problem. Isn’t it ironic how I went for one matter, but thank goodness we discovered and were able to repair a much more critical issue?

I know that incident shaped my life, but I also know there are other reasons why things happen. Take for example a close friendship that I once had, but broke up and now sharing an even stronger bond today. It was the time we spent apart that made us both realize how much we missed each other and now we’re best friends today. Additionally, I’ve had to make other difficult choices as far as deciding who I hang around with, but in the end it’s helped me to grow up and become a more mature person. Making hard choices isn’t always easy, but the outcome is generally better.

When I think not only about my life, but the world in general, I noticed things happen for a reason. Sometimes even a traumatic situation can lead to a positive result. Specifically the incidents surrounding September 11, 2001. That day our nation was attacked by terrorists leading to thousands of causalities. As a result, I believe that the citizens of our country rallied around each other and today we are a much stronger land because of it.

As I think back on my life I’m not sure if my early childhood health issue caused me to think this way or if it was my mother always repeating that saying. But whatever the reason I am truly convinced, that things happen for a reason.