Laughter

Katherine - Westminster, Massachusetts

I believe in laughter. I believe that you can cure any problems with a quick laugh or giggle. I think most people agree that anytime you’ve been down someone that can make you laugh was on your good side for the day. I surround myself with people that can make me laugh specifically for that reason. I certainly have my bad days and I am secure knowing someone will be there to make me laugh.

There are specific days when I’ve gotten mad at a friend over something pointless, and looking at him to see the “are you serious” expression on his face makes me laugh and forget about it. I can’t hold a grudge precisely for that reason. While I pretend to be mad about something small, I am easily caught off guard by someone who isn’t taking it as seriously as me and I can’t help but laugh it off.

My best girlfriends know exactly what to do when they want to make me laugh or put me in a better mood. As soon as one of us starts it immediately spreads to the rest like wildfire. Even if something has gone wrong in one of our lives we find a way to create a funny upside to at least get the person laughing and on a path to a better mood. We make jokes about the littlest things and find them hilarious even when no one else does.

One instance I remember perfectly was when I had my wisdom teeth out over the summer. Some of my friends stopped over every now and then to keep me from going insane with boredom. My friends cracked jokes the entire time about how funny I looked and events that had happened in their lives since I’d been confined to the couch. Since I looked like a chipmunk with such fat cheeks and I couldn’t open my mouth very wide it was impossible to do a full belly laugh. When I tried to laugh at something they said it came out as a really awkward sound with very little mouth movement. Of course since I looked so funny it caused the laughter to spread throughout all of us until it was virtually uncontrollable.

Although some people may see it as a down fall I think it’s good to laugh when you’re in an unknown or awkward situation. I think it relieves pressure from the other person as well when they notice you give off a cheerful vibe. An example of this happening in my life would be when I went for my road test. Ironically, this is a time when you are supposed to be very serious and nervous, which I definitely was, but I was also able to make the instructor laugh. This put her in an improved mood after an endless day of the same repetitive routine. I figured that if I could get her to laugh with me it would be slightly less intimidating and she would be more lenient.

I don’t know how anyone could go a full day without laughing. It makes me feel so good to just let it all out and relieve stress built up throughout the day. Many people know that almost every time I laugh, I laugh so hard that I cry and it’s true, but I love it and I wouldn’t want it any other way.