Changes

Olga - Coquitlam, Canada
Themes: change

All my life, small and big things in life have been shifting for the better and, unfortunately, the worse. The simple things changed. Things like grades, schools and friends. Unfortunately, the complicated changed as well, including life and love. Every day, change has and will have a great hand in my life. There may be many constants we come across, however, I believe that change is our greatest constant and when we can learn to accept change, we can become a stronger person.

It all started in my childhood. I was a carefree little girl, wearing pigtails in my hair, mismatched clothes and didn’t care what anyone seemed to think of me. I’d hear my parents and role models talking. They mentioned death and its impacts, money troubles and people falling in and out of love. I’d listen and be a little bit scared, but it seemed so distant from anything I’d ever had to deal with, and I didn’t fully understand why they were always so worried. Moving into middle school, I started learning that friendship wasn’t always as happy as it seemed and that pain is a complicated emotion. I lived on the beliefs of my parents, and had so many questions yet to answer.

I asked myself one day, what I believe in and what I stand for. That question was much too hard to answer. The initial difficulty to answer the question quite quickly turned into the realization of how my beliefs had grown. They had at first rested completely upon my parents and over time, I had grown from that and my beliefs had changed.

I had reached the age that every parent dreaded. I became a teenager. Things around me were changing rapidly: my school, my friends, my experiences and long with those, my beliefs. I began to lift off of my parents by answering my questions and altering what I stood for. I came to know what death and life meant a little more clearly, seeing people end their lives, and others just beginning. I even began to get a taste of love, seeing love end, begin and being in it myself. Change was everywhere, and I had to start getting used to it.

My life was shifting faster than I could handle and soon I found myself with broken friendships, a broken heart and a wavering belief system. I had become someone I didn’t know very well and someone I would need to work at liking. I had to get to know myself and accept that change. Over time, I learned to accept it, and those changes have molded who I am.

Everything in my life has been directly or indirectly related to change. Change has made me who I am and it is the constant that will always be there with no exceptions. I have lots of changing ahead of me, and all I can really do is accept it while sticking to who I am, whoever that may be.