Fighting Luekemia

Hannah - Waterville, Iowa
Themes: family, illness

About six years ago, my family went through something that was not only hard for my family, but everyone we knew. Six years ago, my grandfather was diagnosed with leukemia. He was able to put all of the strength that he had into the time he had left. He went under all these medications and eventually had to go into chemotherapy. Two years after he was diagnosed with this cancer, he eventually passed away. We hated to have him go, but he was out of the pain he was in before. This is the story of how my family, my friends, me, and, more importantly, my grandfather, dealt with this cancer and tried everything in our power to help him.

Like I said before, my grandfather was diagnosed with this cancer that has taken so many loved ones in the world. Leukemia is a cancer that attacks the blood or the bone marrow. The most common type of blood cells the cancer attacks are the white blood cells. There are two different types of leukemia, Lymphocytic leukemia and Myelogenous leukemia. Even though I don’t know what type my grandfather had, I know that he was able to handle anything life threw at him.

After he was diagnosed with this horrible cancer, he soon went under chemotherapy. Chemotherapy is one of the only ways to battle cancer. When my grandfather went through chemotherapy, he often felt tired and sick. We did everything we could to make him feel comfortable, even though we knew that it didn’t do much.

Eventually, he had to go on oxygen and that made it even harder for us to deal with. He would always say he was okay when we knew that he wasn’t. About a year after the diagnosis, he was sent away to stay at a retirement home because of his illness. We would go and see him and ask him how he was doing. The answer was always the same. He would always tell us that he was doing good and that he was having a great time.

About two years after the diagnosis, he eventually passed away. When he passed away, I was only in fourth grade. I was up in my room watching T.V. when my mom came in and told me. I cried for the rest of the day. Then, about two weeks later, we had the funeral. Before he died, my grandfather told my family, even though I wasn’t in the room at that time, that when he died, he wanted us to watch out for my grandmother and take care of her for him. I look up to my grandfather for this. I look up to him because he didn’t want us looking out for him when he knew he was going to die, but he wanted us to look out for my grandmother and for ourselves instead. I believe that we should all follow my grandfather’s example and take care of others.