Caring is Believing

Ashley - Parker, Colorado
Themes: death, family

When was the last time you had to move on, even though you knew it would be hard? I know that I have had one of those moments, and it was like trying to find my way through a cloud of fog.

My older brother died when he rolled his car into a ditch about 2 years ago. He was driving back to our house at 2 o’clock in the morning when his steering wheel suddenly turned and he was dead. No one caused him to do this, only himself.

That weekend, I remember I got home from visiting my dad; my mom’s eyes were red and swollen. When I looked at her I got confused, scared, worried, anxious, and curious all at the same time. As soon as I found out about my family’s misfortune, my life just got quiet. My parents whispered when they talked, and I didn’t call or text anyone of my friends for a couple of weeks. Of course, my parents kept us all active so we could get our minds off of the death. Yet, it was still a challenge.

It got easier when I went back to school because I was surrounded by all of my friends who cared about me. Whenever we talked they knew not say a word about my brother, or the waterworks would kick back in. It was probably because whenever I think back on the day I came home, it makes me feel depressed on the inside, as you can probably guess.

My life eventually went back to normal, and I think about him every day. Now, I know that all you need to get through life is love. I also think some values that were important to me back then were trust, faithfulness, and care. But, come to think of it, the same values are still important to

me.

Sometime, I would like to tell people that before this event I thought that nothing like that could ever happen to me, but I was so wrong and incredibly confused when it did happen. And I guess that I just did tell some one, didn’t I?

I am currently living my life as a regular teenager who’s had a rough past, but is ready for the future.