Love it till it’s gone

Alison - Waterville, Iowa

I never thought that this would ever happen to me, but maybe I thought wrong. Have you ever heard the phrase “Love it till it’s gone?” I have.

It was December 1, 2006. Just another cold, boring, normal day at school. I was so excited for Tory’s birthday party that night. We all walked home and got settled in. It was about 6:00 p.m. that night when we heard sirens. We didn’t think much about it. Until, my mom’s friend came to Tory’s house when we were outside playing and having real good time and said, “Ali your house is on fire.”

All I could do was cry and think, “There goes my home, my stuff, my room!”

From that day I realized that you don’t know what you have until it’s gone and that is a fact. In my eyes, I think that you should love everything you have, because you just don’t know what will happen to it.

Just like I told myself before, there went all of my belongings. All of my childhood memories. There went everything. When I was younger I thought my home was the worst looking, compared to all of my friends’ houses. Maybe I was wrong. That home protected me and I could actually say I had a roof over my head. I shouldn’t have worried what my house looked like. I used to tell myself that I wish my house would burn down and I would get a brand new one.

That was a dumb thought. Once I saw my house in flames I regret saying that so much. Cleaning up after the fire was not so much fun. Building the house ourselves was not a good idea either. It caused many fights and arguments with my family. But, sometimes you have curve balls thrown at you. But you need to catch them and move on.

Now, when I hear love it ‘till it’s gone, I always think about that one night. That night, when I was having so much fun and then it turned horrible. Now with all my other special things, I have learned to respect them and love them, because you never know when you will not have them again.