I Believe in Thinking Before You Act

Cody - Waterville, Iowa

In this country more and more people are doing things before they think. Because of this, business’s like the automobile industries are going bankrupt. If these companies would have thought before they started spending and spending and spending they would be financially fluid. This does not only matter with auto companies but with all Americans. Why do you think people kill others or rob banks? Its because they don’t think before they act. We would be better more courteous country if people did. I had my own experience of not thinking before I acted. It was a cold winter day and I was playing football with my friends on the recess playground. My team was loosing and I was getting frustrated. I have always gotten frustrated when things didn’t go the way I want them to, but when I was younger I would get mad very easily normally resulting in me getting into fights. Not necessarily fist fights, but yelling and screaming. Well, this day wasn’t any different and I was very angry. The other team had just scored a touchdown and I was getting mad. “It was first down, second down, third down, and then a touchdown.” Trever said in a very cocky tone marking the first, second, and third downs with his fingers. Right as the word touchdown exited Trever’s mouth, it was like something in my mind snapped. Without even thinking about what I was doing my hand came up as fast as I could move it and met directly with Trever’s nose. “Run.” someone yelled as kid after kid ran away from the scene as fast as they could, hoping that somehow they wouldn’t get in trouble. Blood spewed from Trever’s nose as I realized what I had just done. I instantly thought to myself, “How could you be so stupid Cody? Do you think at all?” I looked up. I could see a teacher making her way over to me and Trever. Trever moaned with pain only making the feeling in my gut even worse. “What has happened here?” the teacher ask in a worried tone. Some kid answered, saying, “We were playing football and Cody just punched him in the face.” I couldn’t tell who was talking and didn’t even remember what I said because of the horrible self-anger that I was feeling at that moment. I went to the principal who said that we were done playing football which made a lot of my friends mad at me. The hardest part was explaining to my parents what had happened. They were very disappointed. Since this incident, I have learned to think before I act. I use this when I’m with my brothers and they are annoying me. Instead of hurting them or doing something I would regret, I think before I do it and often end up not doing anything. I believe in thinking before you act. If more and more people in the United States and other parts of the world would think before they act this world would be a better place for everyone, full of better things and better people.