Cayley Vs. Jacqueline

Bethany - Waterville, Iowa

In sixth grade I learned a really important lesson. I learned that I need to think of how my friends will feel if I start hanging out with other people and leaving them out, or if I’m not making time for them.

Jacqueline moved to my old school in sixth grade, right after Christmas break ended. She seemed like a nice person, so I decided I would try to become her friend. We became really close, really fast.

What I didn’t realize was that my friend Cayley was getting jealous of how much time I was spending with Jacqueline. I hadn’t thought about how it would feel to be dropped all of a sudden. Especially because we had been friends for seven years by then.

I didn’t have a clue about her feelings until I got the first email. It basically said that I needed to choose who I was going to be friends with, her or Jacqueline. I replied saying I wouldn’t choose, because they were both my friends.

Cayley emailed me two more times saying I needed to choose. I finally told her that what she was doing to me wasn’t fair. If she kept emailing me things like that, we wouldn’t be friends anymore.

That woke her up. Our friendship was still kind of rocky for the rest of the year, but we both got over it. We began to trust each other again, although I decided that we wouldn’t be able to be best friends again. That little episode ruined that. I didn’t know if I could trust her not to be like that again.

During this whole time Jacqueline never knew a single thing about this trouble. I’m sure she must have realized Cayley basically hated her, but she never said a thing about it.

I now make better decisions about who I hang out with. I never want to go through that again, because somebody ends up getting hurt, even when I try my hardest not to let it happen.

I’m still a little mad and sad about it, but I guess it happened for a reason. I still don’t understand that reason, but I do understand that it was most likely for the best.

I now know that I should pay attention to what my friend’s feelings might be. I need to pay somewhat equal attention to all of them, or at least help them understand that, even if I’m not spending that much time with them, I still care about them.

I believe you should treat people with the kindness and respect they deserve because if you don’t you could ruin the great foundations you have built. Every friend you have, and even your enemies, should be treated the way you would treat your best friend. I believe everyone should live by the Golden Rule, “Treat others the way you want to be treated.”