This I Believe my Friend

Jeffrey - Simpsonville, South Carolina

This I Believe my Friend

Everyone has a friend. No matter who you are, what you look like, or how you behave everyone has a friend. A friend is someone who you can hang out with and have fun. Someone you can talk to or just joke around with. That may be a friend but now a true friend is different, very different. A true friend will always be there no matter what happens or who you turn into. You may fight with them or argue and even hate them at times but in the end they are still your friend. This I believe, friends are with you for the moment; true friends are with you for life.

When I moved to a new school I was seven and all I wanted was to fit in. The first person I met had the same name as me. We instantly became friends. Soon I had all the friends I could need, and of course the first friend I had got jealous. We fought over it and stopped talking after. I then met Josh; he went to my school and lived in my neighborhood. As we hung out more we became the best of friends. We got in trouble all the time. People came to call us the “Toxic Twins”. Throughout our friendship we had many fights verbal and physical. After every fight we separated and did not talk to each other, for about a day and then became friends again. As elementary school went and middle school came we grew apart but when high school started things went right back to the way they were.

Ninth grade year we talked like we used to and hung out a lot more. We had met new friends over the years and introduced them to each other. He and I hung out all summer with these new friends we had made and everyone had a blast. The days flew by and soon it came to the eleventh grade. One day we were talking about how funny his hair was and he got mad. Instead of saying something to one of the other guys he decided to say something to me. He said something about my girlfriend that no one would appreciate. We almost got in a fight right there in the cafeteria at school. I decided not to and we would settle this outside of school.

Here is the funny part. Here’s the part where you can distinguish between true friends and just friends. We both rode in the same car to where we were going to fight. We didn’t fight long and both decided to stop. After we had fought we got cleaned up and went to get something to eat. Still to this day we are friends and hang out a lot. Through the bad and the good we made it. After that day I realized, friends are with you for the moment, true friends are with you for life.