Follow your Passions

Matt - Port Coquitlam, Canada

I believe that everyone is great at something and that it is your responsibility to follow your passions and to become the best you can be at your passion. Life is just too short to be stuck doing something you don’t find meaningful or you hate.

Millions of people worldwide are stuck with jobs they dislike. Every single person is talented at something. Due to the perceived impracticality of many of our passions, many people are discouraged from following their true passions. I have played hockey for eight years now and I am reminded quite frequently about how improbable the chances of me playing hockey as a profession are. Hundreds of thousands of kids worldwide play minor hockey but there are only around 600 players in the National Hockey League. This makes the chances of me playing in the NHL slim to none but I continue to work hard to be the hockey player I can be. Too much emphasis is placed on the end result, but really all that matters is that you gave it a chance.

On a recent trip to Las Vegas for a hockey tournament, I was able to see the Tournament of Kings medieval dinner show at the Excalibur hotel on Las Vegas Boulevard. I had been eager to see one of these of shows ever since I had watched Jim Carrey and Matthew Broderick duke it out at a medieval dinner show in the movie Cable Guy. While eating my medieval dinner with my hands, I could not help but think about the amount of money these actors and dancers made doing this show. It couldn’t be too much money. Applause engulfed the arena as the prince defeated Mordred, the evil fire wizard. The show was over and the performers bowed to the audience with big smiles on their faces. These performers could have probably just become an accountant or a lawyer after high school, but they decided to follow their passions in acting and dancing which are not the most financially secure fields of work. The show showed me that you don’t necessarily need the most money to live a happy life, but just a passion.

As much as one might think they are talentless, everyone is stupendous at something. Passions, even if they don’t always result in nice cars or lots of money, are what truly make life a fun enjoyable experience. This I believe.