Early Bird Gets The Worm

Darcy - Prescott Valley, Arizona

Early Bird Gets The Worm

This I believe that procrastinating is root of all evils. It’ll eat away at you as fast as I can eat macho nachos from Del Taco. I eat a lot of macho nachos from Del Taco!

I have been a student at Bradshaw Mountain High School for almost 4 years now and for much of that time I’ve had to write many different essays with many different types of prompts. I can’t remember the last time I’ve written an essay before the night it was due.

When I was 18 in my senior English class, I had to write an “This I Believe Essay”. We had to write about one thing that was at the core of us. What truly explains us and wouldn’t change no matter who told us otherwise. The first draft was due in a week and I had to think about what was really at the core of me until then. Well time ticked by and I had no idea what to write about. I was procrastinating hard core. 10:00pm came around the night before it was due and I was instant messaging a couple of friends about how I really didn’t want to write this essay. The Essay prompt was sitting there on my desk and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. It was bugging me so much! It sits in your mind like guilt in the bottom of your gut.

Even in Elementary when all we had to write was a page with maybe 3 paragraphs, I’d wait. You can’t enjoy anything until your essay is written. I’d try to swing and laugh but all I could think about was the paper due the next day. Why I didn’t just write the paper is anyone’s guess.

Procrastinating has gotten a bad rep for many years but it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Teenagers are getting even more lazy as the years go by. But if you look at the successful people in the world, they don’t procrastinate. They make sure everything is done on time and done to perfection. Revisions are made over and over and that’s why they’re so successful.

So here I am, 18 years old, a high school student and almost a college student and I still procrastinate. It’s definitely affecting my grade and I don’t seem to care. Procrastinating brings out the worst in you.

My youngest brother is in 7th grade and is getting used to writing many essays a year. He never procrastinates and he has straight A’s. I sure hope it stays that way.

It’s true that I do get my essays turned in on time but the fact that I procrastinated is what keeps it from an A+ essay.

I do hope that procrastinating becomes an old practice and my kids will not even know the meaning of the word.

You may not get that A+ you were hoping for if you don’t procrastinate but I can guarantee that it’d be a higher grade than if you waited til the last couple of hours. Revise!