Learning From Others

Andrea - Coquitlam, Canada

I believe that everyone has a voice that should be heard and it is our job to listen.

Our world is defined by sound; it is in every aspect of our lives; yet we never listen. Too much of the sound around us is muffled by the larger noises of our lives; the sound of cars racing by our houses, dogs barking, kids crying. Noises fill our lives, but I wonder what we would hear if we turned off the background noise; possibly even the faint whispers of voices drifting over the horizon. The ones that we should be hearing, but we get so caught up in the rest of our lives that we forget to pay attention. It is as important for us to listen to others – all others – as it is for us to speak our own beliefs. We must not neglect those whose voices are whispered into the wind, even when no one else will take the time to hear them.

How did today’s leaders get to the place they are today? It certainly wasn’t by keeping what they believe inside their head, too scared about what their classmates or families would say. Instead, if their ideas we’re controversial they didn’t care. They would broadcast their ideas to anyone who would listen. Perhaps in some ways it would be easier if the whole world could read minds because we wouldn’t have to speak to make our voices heard, but alas that isn’t the case. So we must work all the more; to speak up when maybe you won’t be the most popular student in the class when it is over or it might make you reveal something about yourself or open up in a way that is out of your comfort zone. But as you can see speaking your mind isn’t about being comfortable or safe and secure, but communicating an idea that can help make the world a better place.

Nevertheless, this world would be destroyed if all we did was talk. You need a happy medium between talking and even more importantly listening. Your and my ideas are useless if the thoughts in our head are spoken aloud into a world of noise so loud and confusing we can’t hear our neighbors. If we can’t hear those around us think about how much harder it is to hear everyone around the world; the underprivileged in Africa, the abused, and the abandoned. Maybe we need some duct tape for or our mouths or perhaps we need to rip the duct tape off.

Every day it seems I get so caught up in the materialism of this world that I don’t think about anyone but myself and I am humiliated by it. However your mistakes must be brought to light before you can change your ways. But I want that to end. I want to live in a world where no one is embarrassed to speak their mind and I hope someday my wish will come true.

This I trust. This I believe.