Celebrating the Small Victories, Too

Jillian - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe in celebrating all victories, no matter how small they may be. Everyone needs to celebrate their accomplishments, no matter how small they are. Some people may think it is stupid or weird to congratulate yourself for accomplishing minor tasks, but I believe doing so is a major morale booster. And that it can make the difference between a good or bad experience. Getting a B or C on a test may seem bad to one person, but to another it could major event that is worth celebrating.

When I was younger, I was very involved in all kinds of sports: dancing, swimming, gymnastics, soccer. I was never very good; no one was. We were five and we were only doing it to have fun. Soccer was my favorite of all of the sports. Out of about twenty games, though, my team won maybe four or five. But no matter how terrible we did, we always cheered and danced around because for our skill level, we believed we were doing amazingly. Our team would get weird glances as we danced around. We didn’t care. And, no matter what the outcome was at the end of the season, we would have a pizza party at either Ledo’s or Piasian’s Pizza. We got trophies too, even though we lost so many times.

But recently, I have found myself acting less and less in this manner. Instead of rejoicing and being excited about my accomplishments, I have looked more towards the negative side of things. And I’ve found the need to be more positive about myself.

If people walked around only seeing things negatively, no one would be happy. It would be hard to enjoy life. I believe that everyone should celebrate their smallest of victories because with how stressful life can be, a tiny gesture can make all of the difference. It’s important to take the time to make yourself feel better.