Books are Humanity’s Greatest Invention

Taylor - Coquitlam, Canada

I believe that books are not the window, but the door to another place. I believe that books can transport the reader to anywhere they want to go, just through words. I believe that they can make us feel more than what we have or are. That books can create emotions in us even after the book is finished. I believe that the reader should be able to empathize with the character. I believe that books are humanity’s greatest invention.

I believe that when someone opens a book and reads it, that they should be taken to a different place or time; that they should be transported into a world like, or unlike, our own. I think that readers read because they love to get away from the routine of everyday life. When I open an adventurous book, I want to get taken away on a magical journey with a daring hero, or read about 2 opposite people who fall in love when I feel mellow. When I open a book I want to forget my troubles and read about how the characters in the book deal with their problems. I want to know that I’m not the only one who has troubles to deal with. I feel that reading books where the problems or feelings are somewhat similar to the reader’s, it helps the reader with their problems.

I believe books can create places in our minds that allow us to explore and discover something magical. They can create feelings inside us that sometimes we are lacking and don’t know. Books can make me feel so warm-hearted after reading a good love story, or feel longing and wanting after finishing a book with a cliffhanger. Books can make us hope for a better future. Books can make us want to change the world after reading someone’s inspirational story of hardship and finally overcoming it. I reckon that a book can mend a broken heart by showing the reader that there is more to life than that, by creating the broken emotions anew.

I believe that great books allow the reader to identify with the character, whether using the first person so the reader feels like they are the character, or using third person so that the reader feels like they are fighting beside the hero. I feel that the person who reads the book should somehow relate to the character, either by problems, lifestyles, or feelings. The reader should feel that they know the main character beyond what is written in the book. I believe that when the character’s story is finished, the character’s struggles stick with the reader so that the reader can feel that they too can have a happy ending if they keep persevering.

qI believe that books are the world’s greatest invention. I believe that books can take you anywhere you want to go. I believe that they can heal the wounded soul, or mend a broken heart. I believe that books can inspire people with their knowledge, or capture their imagination with their creativity. I believe that without books the world would be a place where knowledge is lost and expression is lacking. This I believe.