I believe in having a close relationship with your siblings

Stephanie - Brookfield, Illinois

Yelling and screaming. Kicking and fighting. They are able to push every button and heal any wound. They know you the best because they are a lot like you even if you don’t see it. They will be your best friend or your worst enemy, your partner in crime or the crime itself.

In my life they are my best friends. Whether they have taught me to swing on a swing or are teaching me the best way to stay on our parents’ good side they have always been there for me. We fought and we still do. We cried and we still do. We annoyed the crap out of each other and we still do. We laughed and we still do. We know how to work together and know each others’ strengths and each others’ weaknesses. They may be a lot older than me but our relationship is one of the best and most important to me than any other.

My brother and sister know me better than anyone else in the world including my parents. I remember growing up and fighting with my brother all the time and being jealous of my sister. I remember being the annoying little sister during road trips always asking “Are we there yet?” and them wanting to punch me in the face. I remember on those same road trips whining to my parents saying “Mom! Kyle’s looking at me! Jenn’s touching me!” and they would just laugh and my parents wouldn’t do anything about it. They picked on me and I would give them dirty looks. I bothered them and they did their best to ignore it but never could.

As we got older all of these things began to change. We stopped arguing and turned jealousy into encouragement. Instead of bothering each other we kept our space but still watched late night movies and ate burnt popcorn because none of us ever made it the right way. Whether it was cheering each other on in sports or playing super Mario cart we were all the best of friends and still are. Even distance cannot change that. I believe in having a close relationship with your siblings. If anyone asked the three of us who our best friends are, without a doubt, we would all say each other. I can’t remember the last time we fought. Were to the point now where instead of trying to beat each other in everything we do and make it all a competition we just admit who is better.

They may live about 1,000 miles away but that has brought us even closer. We talk all the time and tell each other everything. Without them I wouldn’t be the person I am today. We bring out the best in each other. Knowing that I will always have two other people in my life who I know will never betray, leave, or hurt me is the best feeling ever.