In Karma I Believe

Austin - Altoona, Iowa

Karma is a guiding influence in my life. It is the entity that encircles the world correcting the actions of people. Karma is the entity that rights the wrongs, rewards the good, and creates peace in the world.

Karma is more complex than “what goes around comes around”. I believe that when someone does something that helps others, that person in turn will be helped when it is needed most. Or, when someone does something that causes harm to others, that person will be punished equally for the wrongs that he or she has done.

My dad gave me this warning as an example of bad karma. Say I rob a store, more often than not, I will be caught. Maybe not for that particular crime, but perhaps for something else that I might do. For example, later I do not stop completely at a stop sign and an officer sees it. When the police officer tries to pull me over I do not stop right away. So the officer suspects that I am hiding something. When the officer searches my friend’s car that I was driving, the officer finds illegal drugs under the back seat that a buddy of mine had left behind. Then I am arrested and taken to jail for drugs that were not mine. This is what karma does when people choose to make the wrong decisions in life.

An example of good karma from my own life happened one time when I went to the movies. The person in front of me found out that the movie would cost more than he brought. So, I offered to cover the difference for him. He thanked me profusely, and when he offered to pay me back later, I declined. Later that very same week, I ended up finding twenty dollars in the pocket of a new pair of pants. I believe that this was an act of karma.

My grandma told me this story. It was a rainy day and as a businessman rushed to go inside a hotel, he noticed my grandma approaching the same doorway. He decided to stop and hold the door for her. Seconds after she entered the building, a large potted plant fell only a few feet in front of her. If the man had not stopped to hold the door, he would have been crushed by the plant that fell from the floor above.

Karma can also be described as a mind set, or self-fulfilling. If I am continually looking for good things to happen, I do not focus long on unpleasant things that occur. When I do something that causes someone or something harm, I might instinctively look for bad things to happen to me. The same can be said for “good” karma. When I do something good for someone other than myself, I might instinctively look for good things or actions to come my way.

I believe that good karma can be very helpful and rewarding, because it keeps things balanced. Without it, the world would be in chaos with many bad deeds going unpunished and good deeds unrewarded.