I Believe in Happy Endings

Ailyn - glendale, California

Are your parents still together? Are they divorced? Well, my parents are divorced. Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if they were still together today. I will never know this question, but it is ok. We have not heard or seen my real dad for a little over a year now. It breaks my heart to not see him or hear from him, but he has his own new family to take care of and I was just in their way. No worries though because my mom found a new man to take his place which meant a new beginning for my mom and I. I believe in happy endings.

My parents got married when they were 19 years old. They came to America two years later from Rosario, Argentina in March of 1994 when they were 21 years old. The next year I was born (the best day ever). The first year was pretty good. After I turned one and a half, my parents got a divorce. My dad had taken everything, even most of my mother’s own precious belongings, and left my mom with nothing besides me, and an old car that barely worked. After this, she found a little apartment and moved in. She worked two jobs support both of us. One of her jobs was a newspaper girl. Her job was to throw newspapers at night, like a paperboy. Mostly every night, she could not find anybody to take care of me so she would have to take me to work with her and I would sleep in the car. She did not have the money to buy two beds, so she bought one bed and we shared it. Sometimes, she couldn’t afford to feed both of us, so she would give me her meals and would not eat herself. She had been working at this newspaper job for a few years now and a new supervisor had come to work there. After a few months, my mom and the supervisor, Ryan, started to date when I was two. They dated for a few weeks then my mom and I moved in with him. After 3 years of living together, they got married. They got married when I was five years old and it was one of the best and valuable days of my mother’s life. Two years passed by and my little sister, Kayla, was born which was the best day for my parents but the worst day for me (just kidding).

I have enjoyed every part of my life so far. I am so thankful for having such a great step-dad because if it was not for him, I don’t know where my mom and I would be right now. All my mothers past is in the past and we need to seek to what the future holds for my family and everyone else. Even if your parents are together or divorced, just remember that both your parents love you. One parent might show it more, but when you get stepparents they rock! I still think of my real dad as my dad but I also think of my step-dad as my dad too. Remember, it is ok to have more than one mom or dad. I believe in happy endings.