The Joy in Life

Justice - Columbus, Kansas

The Joy in Life

I believe that today’s American society has lost the joy in life. Everywhere I turn, I see people who are always in a hurry. They seem disturbed whether they are going to school, work, or even a child’s baseball game. It is as if everyone is highly stressed. No one has time to stop and say hello, or even hold the door open for the nice elderly lady who is slowly making her way to the grocery store entrance. We Americans, fill our plate so full that there is no time to relax any more. The group “Alabama” has a song called “I’m in a hurry” The words say, “I’m in a hurry and don’t know why. I rush and rush until life’s no fun.” This should be the theme song for today’s society. In many cases, a traditional family trying to survive requires both the father and the mother to work outside of the home. In these cases, the real work begins as soon as the day job is over. They have to pick up the children, ensure the homework gets done, do the housework, do the laundry, and make dinner. These are just a few of the everyday tasks they must perform after working eight hours. Eventually, these small tasks build up. People become stressed out and they forget or do not have time to pay attention to the little things that make life worth living. This society is beginning to act like robots! People do the same routine and go through the same motions every week and there are still tasks left over come Monday. The effects of this are numbing. What happened to the seventh day of rest? Does anyone really rest on the seventh day of the week anymore, or has it become just another day for accomplishment? What are our children doing while all of these tasks are being performed? They are playing video games and watching television. According to surveys by the Kaiser Family Foundation and the Centers for Disease Control, A child is six times more likely to play a video game on a typical day than to ride a bike. In my opinion as a parent, the majority of my joy and entertainment come from watching my son. What is the point in life if one day we wake up and see that our children are all grown up and we have no memories of their childhood? This society and future generations of this society will be much better off if we would “stop to smell the roses” a little more often. By taking on so much in our lives, we are forgetting to enjoy life.