I believe in personal thought

Stephanie - Erie, Pennsylvania

I am a Republican. I voted for McCain. I love dogs and I hate cats. I am a Chevrolet person and will never drive a Ford. Growing up, you see and hear a lot of things. As I got older, I started to think, why am I listening to everyone else? Where is my voice? What do I think? Every day I ask myself these questions, especially when it comes to the big issues in American society. I learned to form my own opinion and have my own train of thought. I decided not to be like everyone else and vote Democrat because my friends do, or not vote Republican because of my parents. I don’t wear the latest fashion because that is what everyone else is doing, I don’t cut my hair like everyone else, and I don’t find something funny just because my friend does. I tried to be unique, but in the end, I was unique just like everyone else, so I stopped. Now I am me, my own person. I have become independent in thought and in personal life.

If you don’t voice your own opinion, the world would be so boring. Bibb Latané, a college professor, developed a theory called the Social Impact Theory that states, there is an impact groups have on a single person, one that if the person is left out, he or she will conform to what the group reacts to. This is what I see in everyday normal society. People don’t think that their peers or co-workers will agree with them so they conform to what their peers say or do. I don’t think people realize that with conformity, we become conventionalists in a way. Always doing the same thing, all the time, with no regard of what else there is.

During the election, I heard that people were voting for Obama because their friends were, or vise versa. I also was hearing the same, identifiable purposes, showing that no one actually took the time to look up facts for themselves. It doesn’t seem like society cares about right or wrong anymore, but rather what people want them to think and do. People seem to have a need to be liked, and if this doesn’t occur, then their world, or sense of who they are is crushed.

So when people say, “I’m unique,” it makes me wonder what “unique” actually stands for, because in the dictionary it means, limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities. I believe that everyone should voice “their” opinion and not care what others think. If we live to conform, then where is the uniqueness in the world? We don’t want to see the same in the same every day. If people stand for what they believe in, we will not only have better people, but a better government, better cities, and better communities. I believe in personal thought and personal mind, and forming one’s own sense of reality. So get out there, think, research, and form your opinion.