Miracles Do Happen

Lindsay - Pembroke Pines, Florida
Themes: death

Miracles Do Happen

Have you ever felt that emptiness when you lose a loved one? Do you feel that you should just give up your life after your loved one’s is over? You should never give up hope, I never did.

My grandma had past away January 13, 2009 and my entire family was devastated. The news was so fast, so sudden, and she seemed so happy earlier that day. Nobody would have ever suspected that a person that was so healthy and full of life would die just like that. We all thought about how much we were going to miss her, her love for us, and her great personality. I knew that my grandpa would take this hard; my grandparents had been “best friends” for 70 years. How he would carry on, my family and I just didn’t know. I thought that all hope was lost and I would never see her again. Her funeral came within a few days and we all couldn’t believe that it was happening. So many tears were shed and the world felt cold and alone.

Afterwards, at my grandpa’s house, we celebrated “Shiva” which is a gathering of friends celebrating the lost loved one. Everybody was talking about my grandma, but I just didn’t feel like talking. Depressed, I walked amongst my grandma’s favorite things. I stopped and saw an old antique clock that my grandpa brought my grandma from England around the mid 1940s. It was a small glass clock with a rectangular prism shape. On top of the clock was a small handle, which was used at one point to allow the clock to hang from a hook on the inside of a carriage. My grandma had loved that clock, but I recalled that I have never heard it tick. Nobody touched it or wound it. Suddenly, it began to quietly tick that Friday night during the “Shiva”.

Right there I knew that she was with us and she let us know that she was fine. The clock also made a faint “ding” every hour on the hour, and for some reason, that sound is now comforting to me. I would close my eyes, hold the glass clock against my ear, and a slow tear would come down my cheek. I would take the clock and hug it, saying a silent prayer that I wish my grandma would be safe. I could feel her in the room and her presence will be here forever.

I believe that miracles do happen. I take a look at the clock now and I see that it is no longer ticking. This isn’t a reason to lose hope for she is still with us. She had spent some time with us as a spirit and as gone back to heaven to help God and to watch over us from above. God had an intention of comforting my family during this hard time and it was just the medicine we needed. The death of a loved one is devastating, but this doesn’t mean you should give up. After-all, miracles do happen when you least expect them to.