Matthew - Western Springs, Illinois

Honesty. There was a time in my life when I believed that honesty was an insignificant quality in the human being. I had seen others lie and cheat so I wondered, why would complete strangers have the decency in them to be honest people?

I have witnessed situations where people who do not know each other have an interaction in which one lies and causes the other person a great deal of trouble. When I was downtown one day, I witnessed a lady being stolen of her purse. Immediately a policeman arrived and asked people in the area if they had seen the man that did it. These two men that were right there and clearly saw the man that did it were questioned but said that they did not see a thing. This event greatly questioned my belief of honesty in complete strangers. Then, another man who also saw the incident came up to the policeman and gave him a full, detailed description of the man that stole the woman’s purse. I felt very confused on the honesty in the two different men’s statements.

Then, this winter I was getting into my car to go to wrestling practice. I noticed many hours later that my wallet was gone. I searched all over the school and later found, nothing. When I got home later that night I was depressed over having lost my wallet. Then around 7:00 we got a phone call. Apparently a person from down the street whom we did not know was jogging and found my wallet. She immediately returned it and I had noticed that all of the money was still in it. This greatly tested my lack of belief about honesty between strangers. That is why I believe and am telling you how there can be honesty between complete strangers.