I Believe the Simplist Moments are the Ones We Hold Closest to Our Hearts

Sofia - Indian Head Park, Illinois

I believe the simplest moments are the ones that we hold closest to our hearts.

I know that in our society it is said that bigger is better, and in some ways that’s true. Sometimes it’s ok to splurge, try something new or go some place different, but when someone is constantly trying to top the last thing they did they are unable to appreciate the little things in life. I’ve been very fortunate throughout my life. When I was four my dad’s job made him relocate to England and I was able to spend almost five years there. Being in Europe allowed my family to easily travel and visit many countries and experience various. You would think that visiting Buckingham Palace and seeing the Eiffel Tower would be the easiest memories to obtain, but in reality, they’re all a blur to me. What I remember most are the simple Sunday morning teas that my family would have. My brothers and I would crawl into my parent’s bed and wake them up. Sometimes we would all huddle under their covers and my mom and dad would tell us stories about their family, or my favorite, how they met. Then my mom would normally be the first to climb out of bed and pull on her blue cotton robe and prepare scones. We had made the recipe so many times that my mom had perfected it until the scones were to everyone’s liking. I would help set the table and my brothers would be as useful as toddlers could be, which isn’t very useful at all. My dad would boil the hot water and we would debate between which tea we wanted that morning, Sainsbury, Irish Breakfast, or Earl Grey. Then he would set out the jam and marmalade, which I was never very fond of, and then some type of smelly cheese that I would make sure was on the opposite end of the table, far from me. Together we would sit and laugh, share stories, and plan our day. We were the picture perfect family. When my parents divorced it was one of the hardest experiences I had to go through in my life, mostly because no one had predicted it; nobody had seen it coming. Sometimes I wonder whether it’s better to never have had a whole family because then that way you don’t fully understand what you’re missing. You can’t remember the family bike rides through the woods, the walks through the arboretum; the sand castles built by the sea, the Sunday morning teas. But then again without those experiences I would never know what to strive for; those days aren’t gone they’re just momentarily out of my grasp, but I know that one day when I have my family, yeah I’ll want to travel with them and let them experience the world, but most of all I can’t wait to wake up and set up everything for my own family morning tea.