Making Your Own Decisions

Peter - Western Springs, Illinois

Making Your Own Decisions

Growing up, I was always told by my parents what to do, what’s right, the best decision in a certain situation. And to be frank, I hated it. To this day, I very much dislike being told what to do, which is why I believe in making your own decisions.

Do your homework, eat your vegetables, pick up your clothes, my parents would always tell me. Sometimes I just want to say to them, SHUT UP! But of course I don’t. They tell me to eat my broccoli, and even though I like broccoli, I don’t eat it. I sometimes would just intentionally do the opposite of what they tell me, because I HATE how they would hound me ceaselessly, and it annoyed me so much.

I think that, in addition to sticking it to your parents, you also gain valuable life lessons from making your own decisions. When you make your own decisions, the mistakes or rewards are your own, and nobody else’s. When I was preparing for my Biology final freshman year, my parents kept telling me I needed to study more, and keep studying, because I needed a high grade on the test. I thought that my studying up to that point would suffice, and I would be able to get a B in the class; so therefore I went out instead of staying in and getting a couple more hours of studying in. Well, as you can probably guess, I did quite poorly on the test, and I got a C in the class. While my parents were very mad at me for not listening to them, and I was mad at myself, I had learned a lesson that I could not have learned any other way. I had figured out that I should always study a little more than I think I need to just in case, and I learned this before it did any major damage, for example making that kind of mistake in college and possibly jeopardizing my future. And I have learned through that error,—–my own actions, not to do that.

Now, not all the decisions that I make on my own are going to be bad, either. When I decided to quit the boys choir in 7th grade, my parents didn’t really want me to. But I hated singing, so I decided to quit the choir, which was a good decision in my opinion because it benefited me, despite my parent’s opposing view.

When people tell me what to do, or give me advice on something, there is no doubt that I take that into account in decision making, but I ultimately make the decision myself, because that is what I believe is right. I believe that you should think for yourself, make your own decisions, and live your own life.