Western Springs police are a joke

Kell - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

I Believe…

I believe that the police in Western Springs are a complete joke. Our police men have a very simple job to do. Driving around and yelling at kids for J-Walking can get very tiresome. The fact is, police in this town have nothing to do, so they ride everyone’s tails for no apparent reason. Just because they are bored does not mean that they have to be jerks to the people that they are trying to protect. Those are only a few of the reasons for why I think that they are clowns.

A reason that I think that they are jerks is because of an encounter I had with one particular Western Springs police man on Halloween, making for a very entertaining night. Jack Peth, Tom Moran and I were at Dominicks grocery store around ten o’clock at night. There was a bin outside of the store that had pumpkins in it. Since it was already Halloween, the pumpkins were free. This was at least what the sign said. We had already collected all of the candy that we could ever have, so we decided to toss the pumpkins around as we pondered what we would do next. As the pumpkins were being tossed around, a police officer pulled up to us in his squad car. The incredibly tall man got out and walked over to us. For the next 20 minutes he proceeded to tell us that we were breaking the law and that he should arrest us on the spot. From how we counted, he made up 4 laws within that time limit. One of which was that we had to have our school identifications on us at all times. He told Tom that he was going to arrest him for not having his. This is when we threatened to call into the police station reporting harassment from an officer. He yelled a bit more then drove off. He was just trying to harass some innocent kids for trying to have a little bit of fun before they had to go home.

The police are a very important part of every day life across America. They keep the community in check and help to serve the citizens and solve crimes. They play a vital role to making sure that America is a safe country for all, but when they take their job over the edge and live to harass the citizens of their town they are hurting America. Police in Western Springs may prevent a few of the crimes that do occur, but they also miss many because they want to pull over a speeder that is going 2 miles per hour over the speed limit instead of stopping a robbery. At times, they look to start trouble instead of trying to stop it. That is why I believe that the WSPD is a joke.