Egotism over Peace

Billy - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: peace

I believe that world peace is unattainable. I believe that it cannot be achieved, no matter how hard mankind strives to make it so. Having only lived 16 years of life, my life experience isn’t anywhere near as reinforced as others is. However, in what I have seen during modern day, I am led to believe that humanity will never find true peace. Now given, I don’t have any one life-changing or significant event that has revolutionized my opinion on this matter. However, I have a series of experiences and that have helped influence my perception, and I’ll use myself as a prime example.

Every day, I try my best to be friendly and kind to the people around me. I want to be a nice person, and really, I want to do good. After one school day in particular I remember, nothing had gone wrong and thus I had no reason to spread any negativity around that day. And I felt great. I had succeeded on rewriting an important English paper to get an A. I didn’t have to work, I had no homework, and it was the Thursday before a long weekend. Walking home later, I remember thinking, wow, this is a perfect situation. Now, consider this. Even on a normal day, without some of these things to look forward to, we all live away from real poverty. It is safe to say that a large portion of us live pretty padded lives, with lots of unappreciated opportunity thrown at us daily from every direction. So, logic shows how generally, we should be comparatively happy in contrast to the much less fortunate. That aside, I get home to hear my mom yelling at my brother to hurry up with his dinner so he can get to religion class. The house is a mess, and my mother hates mess, which adds to her already frustrated disposition. She quickly rants off unwanted chores I need to do for her. Meanwhile, Joey is helpless to her intimidating and fighting words. Suddenly, after a day full of my positive attitude, I feel myself being sucked into the fight and soon vigorously defending my little brother. One thing leads to another, and some extreme and “not so nice” things leave my mouth. My mom, very clearly affected, leaves the room, and in my newfound anger, I choose to neglect the chores she gives me.

This instance is one of a million that proves the fact. Even in the best of circumstances, people will at some point put themselves first over others. As soon as their comfort is placed in jeopardy, doing the right thing becomes a costly expense for many. Which is the point: humanity will never be completely content because of mankind’s selfish nature. There are exceptions, sure. But those exceptions are no majority. The fact is that egotism will always take precedence in society, which means that a coexisting, fully peaceful world will never be possible.