I Believe in the Power of Music

Eliza - Western Springs, Illinois

It was about 9 years ago when my mother sat me down and delivered the terrible news. Right away I felt a burst of sadness come over me and I didn’t know what to do about it. I immediately ran to my room and just sat there for a little while. I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to yell, cry, or show any emotion at all. I decided to just put on one of my many CDs to help me calm down. Some of the songs that came on were depressing and some were not, but it made me let loose all the feelings that I couldn’t express in any other way. Slowly, I began to cope with the emotions that my grandfather’s death brought to me with the help of the music.

I believe in the power of music. I believe in its power to change someone’s emotions, or help them get through tough times. Even though I was too young to even understand what had happened to my grandfather, I still had plenty of emotions to let out. I didn’t really know how to do that, but by listening to all different kinds of songs, it helped me tremendously. My grandfather’s death is just one of the many examples in my life of when music has helped me. I use music daily to let out how I’m feeling at that particular moment. It doesn’t matter if I’m cheerful, miserable, angry, annoyed; there is always a song that goes right along with that emotion.

Many times, I do not like to talk openly about my feelings in certain situations. When I express my emotions through music, it involves only me and nobody else. Sometimes when I’m really sad and an upbeat song comes on, it tends to make me feel much better. And other times when I’m in a good mood, I might hear a sad song come on the radio, or on my iPod, and it could make me feel more depressed. Overall, I believe music has the power to change the way someone feels in more ways than one. It can help people cope with their emotions or just to have fun and be happy.