God’s Reasoning

Elle - LaGrange, Illinois

The path my life has taken thus far has shaped my belief in that God plans everything for a reason. With the experiences that I have lived through I feel that I must delve deeper to see the meaning and the goodness that can come from the bad. All of my experiences, every single one, have taught me how to more fully live my life.

One experience of this past year really reinforced my belief. My Dad had been sick, actually sick enough to be on the List. The List for a liver transplant. For a while, as my family and I were waiting for the phone call, I felt like I was being abandoned by God. But when we finally got the phone call on December 5, my entire life changed. I could see how much more I appreciated God now, I actually feel like I can connect better with him. I knew he was always listening to me, it just hadn’t been the right time yet. Right before we got the phone call, my dad was really sick, and maybe we needed to wait until everything elevated to that point, so my family could all see how much we really loved each other. Waiting that much longer in anticipation actually helped my family and I to see how much we appreciated the simple and little things of life. We couldn’t do much then, plus we didn’t really feel like it, but the little things like eating dinner together made us happy. I can now see the reasoning behind God’s choice to set back the phone call all the way until December—in our time of waiting and pain and constant sadness and stress I could not see the reasoning. And now I can.

But, it’s not only the life changing experiences where the positive reasons lie. It is also behind the little aspects of life where I find God’s reasoning.

For example, at the time of the PSAT, my mom was in Minnesota with my grandpa, as he was slowly going to rest. My mom called my brothers and dad at home while she and her family said a prayer around grandpa. I was unable to pray with them because I was testing at North Campus. But it was right around the time that they were all praying that I looked up to the front the classroom at the bulletin board and saw logos for the Minnesota Gophers everywhere, my grandpa really supported the University of Minnesota! I felt that God had planned it for me to test in that very classroom, where my grandpa could be with me.

These are only a few examples of where I have learned that God plans everything for a reason. Every day I manage to find God in the little things of life, the little things that he planned to be that way. And I appreciate that.