Swimming With Dolphins

Kit - Kaulua-Kona, Hawaii

Swimming with Dolphins

This I believe: life is swimming with dolphins.

Here in Kona, I swim miles in our aqua ocean waters. Bouquets of yellow tang and butterfly fish are sprinkled over the coral garden. Occasionally, clouds of mini “jellies” twinkle like diamonds and tickle my skin. The rhythm of my movements and yielding support of the ocean assure me of my unity with all existence and the wholeness of creation.

I swim and contemplate and, sometimes, dolphins come undulating towards me. This is pure joy, a surprise, a gift. They swim in graceful arcs and then fly into the air with abandon and delight. They play a game with a floating leaf, tease and frolic. I am blessed. Then, they swim off with singular purpose. But I keep them with me.

Life is swimming with dolphins. No, I do not and cannot spend all my moments swimming with my playful friends. It is the awareness of joy that I live with. I know that I can find gifts of love wherever I am at any time. A “dolphin” moment can be found standing in the “wrong” line for checkout at Walmart. This is the line that doesn’t move because the woman in front of me is asking for so many cartons of cigarettes and chewing tobacco that she sends the cashier scurrying. But I catch a falling object from her cart and hold it for her. I am able to help her with her many bags. She is so grateful that I know that it was the right line after all.

A “dolphin” may swim by unexpectedly as I check in at the school office early one morning and leave a couple of avocados on our school secretary’s desk . I expect she will enjoy the treat but as I leave she quietly slips outside and tells me that her 90 year old father hasn’t been eating but he loves the avocados I leave. My heart spins with as much delight as a spinner dolphin’s dance above the water.

The grace and unity of dolphins swimming comes to me in the busy supermarket. In crowded isles the movement of carts and customers and kids appears to be the very recipe of chaos. I pause and see a dance of elegance and order as I move rhythmically down the rows changing partners as I go.

Elation sends my thought like a kite flying high on the wind when I see a dolphin mother circle with a baby by her side then soaring in double flips above the ocean. But the same spirit floats more quietly by as I hear a mother singing softly to her child snuggled in a carrier secured in a shopping cart among the groceries.

Life is swimming with dolphins. I take the joyful lesson of the dolphins very earnestly. The lesson is not only to recognize the unity of creation but to apply it with a smile moment by moment. The more I look, the more magnificent life becomes.