Reclaiming The American Dream

Adnan - Mebane, North Carolina

Reclaiming The American Dream

I believe in justice, freedom, diversity and tolerance, and in that order, because there is no freedom without justice (for all), diversity without freedom and we can’t know tolerance without diversity.

In the United States of America we take all of these principles for granted.

In many parts of the world these are the ideals that people still can only dream of, and have to fight for.

Americans, too, had to fight for generations to make these principles become the fabric of the country that is now the leading democracy in the world.

I am a first generation Bosnian-American and I know how people from outside world look with admiration on the American dream. My family and I survived the siege of Sarajevo and were accepted to the United States in 1994 to start a new life. Once we were safely here, we watched American action over Belgrade to coerce the Serbs to stop the carnage in Bosnia. Used to life in a culturally diverse city we didn’t have problems to integrate in the cultural melting pot of our new homeland. Life was good and promising again.

Then a life-altering event happened.

In 2001 I was horrified and in disbelief to see the World Trade Center towers crumble in front of the world’s eyes and to realize how fragile and vulnerable we are, even in America.

Difficult years followed when America instigated two wars, when it became the nation that tortures prisoners of war, when the federal government started wiretapping its citizens, when America refused to take leadership in the stem cell research, avoided to acknowledge the global warming crisis, when we continued to unconditionally support Israel and started calling Muslims terrorists. Due to many errors and missteps of an arrogant and incompetent administration America lost its standing in the world. American dream eroded and lost its appeal in many countries. With rising economic crisis, and all domestic and foreign challenges in place, life in America became uncertain and unpromising. The world’s biggest democracy was on its knees.

Then, another life-changing event happened on November 20, 2008.

This time Americans of all colors were crying because they were happy and proud to see the first African American be elected president of the United States of America.

American people decided to change the course of history once again and to chose hope instead of fear to lead them to better and promising future. American giant is rising on his feet again.

We are facing many challenges ahead, but I am confident that new administration will make wise decisions to restore American dream and bring peace to the world, so that my own and president’s daughters can see our planet without borders and walls between the countries.

I believe in justice, freedom, diversity and tolerance, but most of all, I believe in American people, who made it all possible.

This I believe.