Finding the Extra- in to Ordinary

Clair - Hummelstown, Pennsylvania

I was having lunch one day, when something amazing happened. The people around me left most of their food untouched as the picked and prodded at it, not wanting to eat all of it. I was confused, for it all seemed so great to me. Most of them then threw away all but a few bites of that lunch. As I ate in silence, I was surprised to find myself ecstatic to have a hot meal, a luxury I always take for granted. I Finished up and headed to the restroom. I was so thrilled to find hot water to wash my hands with. Pleased with everything so far, I headed back to finish my milk and chat with friends. As I sat and listened for a while, I couldn’t believe that I was drinking chocolate milk. Chocolate! I looked over at everyone surrounding me and said, “Isn’t flavored milk great?” They gave me an odd glance, so I checked to see if I had a third head (I did not), then looked back at them. They chuckled to themselves but said nothing.

Another time, I was walking down the hall to enter my classroom. I had s good bit of ground to cover, so I hurried on my way. Turning to go down some steps, I quickly turned and glanced over my shoulder. What I saw then shocked me. I watched as child after child walked in front of a Sister that helped out at our school. She was a kind woman, always helping and watching out for the students, as she was now. She too watched as the children passed her by without a word. It is embarrassing to say that I too had overlooked the Sister who stood at that corner everyday. Before turning to hurry to my classroom, I looked at the Sister and happily said “Good morning Sister!” She smiled at me and returned the greeting as I headed off down the stairs.

The little things in life are what we need as human beings to function. I live everyday of my life noticing the smallest things that too many take for granted. We look for bigger and better things to improve life, but some of us have to appreciate those modest things we already have. From chocolate milk, to a simple hello, to a straightforward question, slight things make up this life we cherish so much. I smile everyday, knowing that I AM living the life.

I believe in the appreciation of the little things, no matter how insignificant.