I believe in not swearing

Paty - Brookfield, Illinois

“I believe in not swearing”

I believe in not swearing. Growing up in a respected Guatemalan, Mexican family I was taught that it was rude and impolite to swear, so I never did. Not even by accident, and if it ever slipped, well I wouldn’t want to see that day. When I was younger it was just a simple time out but as I got older it became long boring lectures about how swearing makes people perceive you as a lower person and it seems like you don’t have respect for yourself, nor for the person you are talking to. For example, if you were speaking to the president, you wouldn’t swear nor use slag. Why? Because you respect him. That’s the way my parents raised me and luckily I can still live with it.

A couple of weeks ago I was hanging out with my friend David, we were playing some video game and I kept beating him and every time I would win him he would swear at the videogame. It got to a point where I would lose on purpose for him not to swear, but he would still swear sometimes. After we were done playing we sat down and I told David that he swore a little bit too much sometimes, and he said, “Why don’t you ever swear?”

I said, “Because that’s how I was taught and that’s how I grew up and its just ingrained into my head not to swear.” And he said he really liked that about me and when he meets girls who swear all the time it just makes them look bad so they go to the bottom of his list. I never thought anyone even noticed that about me.

As I continue not to swear David tries it with me and he tries not to swear as much anymore, and he doesn’t; well not as often. And I love that my parents taught me since I was young not to swear because people already know that I don’t.

Also it has helped open my mind to more positive thought than the negative thought people get from swearing sometimes. That helps keep my thoughts happy and positive through out my day. So just letting you know that you will never hear me swear. Like ever!