My Understanding of Life

Aly`ssa - Harrisonburg, Virginia
Themes: carpe diem, death

Life is short. We have all heard this statement but I wish that people would think about its true meaning. I want to tell everyone to stop and look around to try and understand the fact that life is for today. With the sudden passing of someone I knew, I feel like I had these revelations about life and I decided the best thing to do is live in the present. I have learned and thought about so much regarding life in general and this is what I believe.

Life is what matters. It only happens once and it comes at you fast, which is why we should live it to its fullest and make the most of everything. As Winston Churchill put it, “Be an optimist. There is not much use in being anything else.” In the grand scheme of the world our issues are overall insignificant, but we often get stuck in our own selfish minds, worrying about meaningless things like money. I believe in focusing more on enjoying ourselves while we are here. We need to look deep into ourselves, live life until we’re satisfied, fall in love, and just do everything we can. I believe that is the point, to find happiness and appreciate what is all around us.

The boy I knew that passed away did this. He was one of those kids everyone enjoyed being around, always happy, friendly, and “full of life.” He knew what really mattered and his life was still taken away from him at such an early age. I felt so mixed up about it all, only focusing on how unfair it was, but thinking about it more and more I have come to terms. I realize that although he had such a short time, he was truly happy and he got to live his life fully. However others may not realize what they have in life and then it’s too late.

Life can be so beautiful and mysterious. I think about crying and how it happens at moments where you are filled with so much emotion and few words to describe what you are feeling, whether it be happy or sad. It is an amazing concept that demonstrates one of the most natural occurrences in the universe, opposites. For example, the existence of happiness implies sadness, something and nothing, and life and death. Put simply, in order to live we must die but we can’t be sad about that because without death there would be no life. Everything you love may not be here tomorrow; everyone someday will die. And while this is a sad thought, it is the reason why you should let those close to you know how much you love them and enjoy the precious moments you do share.

Life is many things; it means so much. It is existence, each and every day; it is short, temporary, unpredictable, magnificent and inexplicable. We must make each day count as if it were the very last.