Freedom of Marriage

Sydney - Byron, New York

I believe that all people, whether straight, bisexual, or homosexual, should have the legal right to be joined by marriage.

I have always strongly supported homosexual and bisexual marriages. Even when I was a child, I would question why people were so against it, and I would ask myself why, if two people of the same sex truly loved each other, there was something so wrong with their marriage. I would ask the adult figures in my life these kinds of questions, and it was never really explained to me what was so erroneous about it. As I grew a little older, I received a plethora of answers that would just lead me back to the Bible, which made even less sense. If God really is this being that loves everyone for exactly who they are, then why would he give his own children such a hard time for being exactly the way he constructed them to be? I’ve recently realized that God isn’t the problem here. It’s the narrow-mindedness of so many of the nation’s leaders, who, ironically, broadcast to the entire world that America is a free country, a land of opportunity, and a true democracy. Only recently has this hit home.

I have had a few gay friends in my life, but only recently have I shared an amazing friendship with an incredible guy who is gay. The subject has come up a few times about marriage, and he’s less than enthused about the way his marriage is going to have to be performed. It’s heartbreaking to look at him, and to know that he can’t be married anywhere close to home, unless our country changes. He jokes about how when he gets married he’ll have to go to Canada, but in all honesty he shouldn’t have to pay money for a passport, on top of all the other costs of a wedding, just so that he and the man he loves can be joined together forever in matrimony. If my sister can have the backyard wedding of her dreams, he should be able to as well.

What justification does the government have to tell honest, extraordinary men and women that they have one less right than the rest of the country? The only explainable answer I have ever received, is that the Bible declares that it is wrong. It seems strange that they will take prayer our of schools (some schools don’t even decorate for holidays), because it’s not “fair” to anybody who doesn’t celebrate a religion, but the government will put the entire country under a religious bedspread when marriage becomes the case. This just makes our nation one giant hypocrite.

Lastly, what about love? My mother and father separated when I was 12 years old because my mother decided her love for my father was gone. They will be able to legally divorce (which by the way is also an act against the Bible), and forget that they ever loved each other in the first place. There are men out there the desperately love another man, and women who love another woman; some of these relationships show the truest love one could ever imagine. But because of some law saying that it’s wrong, individuals who sincerely hate each other can get married over two gay men that ask for nothing more in life than the love of their partner. I believe this kind of love should be praised. Perhaps it’s time our country’s lawmakers divorced themselves from such rigid thinking.